Capt. Mike & Beverly

Friday, September 17, 2010

Beaufort, SC. 9/2-3/10

Onward to Beaufort, South Carolina. Now, that's Beaufort pronounced B-U-Fort and not to be confused with Beaufort, North Carolina, pronounced Bow-Fort. Got it? The guide books speak of the wonderful garden there. Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I'm looking at the map to see how to get to the garden only to realize I'm sitting in it! And it is spectacular. It is not only a river side park, but a true garden with flowers of all varieties. We had docked at the free day dock and with the help of a young local man, obtained the phone number of the Piggly Wiggly. The store's manager drove down to the dock, drove me to his store, and returned me and the groceries to the boat.

Right there by the dock was the station for the carriage ride tour through the town and we decided to hop on. I can't remember the guide's name, but I can tell you the horse's name is Duke. Duke hails from Ohio Amish country and is a Belgium work horse. Belgium's are known for being large and Duke is one of the largest Belgium's alive. Larger than a Clydesdale. I'm 5'8" and look how much taller Duke is then me!! The tour was a treat telling about the daily life of the elite before, during and after the Civil War. We ended our day with dinner out at Luther's, a restaurant sitting in the garden with a water view of the river. We left the day dock and anchored out that night. In the morning, Captain Mike, discovered a problem. His fresh water pump was smoking! Never a good thing. He decided to spend an extra night in Beaufort, go into the city marina and take advantage of their courtesy car to get to the nearest West Marine Store. Fortunately, they had the required pump in stock and he was able to install it that afternoon. Me, I did my "pink" job. I did the laundry and sat in the park!



No comments:

Post a Comment